Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
How one measures the worth of a man depends on one's own perspective. There are billions of perspectives; there is no "one true way" that everyone will somehow agree on. IMO.
Yes, I suspect we're seeing that very phenomenon transpire before our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
it doesn't matter what it could be seen as. Motives are not relevant. "Bettering others" is still a localized impact; something meaningful is bettering society. Not people, but peoples.

As for lasting effects, that's not terribly important - not having anyone to behold the monuments of man does not somehow negate their value. Are the Pyramids worthless because no Pharaohs remain to gaze upon them?
The Pyramids served their purpose. They were a means to an end. From what I understand, ancient Egyptian culture had an understanding that a man's power in the afterlife was built upon how well he was remembered in the present. To that end, monuments were built to mark their greatness.

For us, they serve an entirely different purpose and present a different value. For us, these monuments provide a window into the past.

In light of this, I will concede that what happens has a much greater impact, but to the individual, who tends to be innately selfish, I suspect he doesn't give a whit about the long-term effects. He cares only about how that serves him.

Also, motives will inform what happens. It's just cause and effect.