View Single Post

Thread: PrC for Warlock and Shadowcaster

1. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: PrC for Warlock and Shadowcaster

Quote Originally Posted by j_spencer93 View Post
    one of the thuerge classes works just fine, take warlock 1, shadow caster 1, wizard 2 (i think) and then take the prc to advance warlock and shadow caster. take shadow caster next, trading off a level of wizard (or 2, idr if you can trade them all or nor), and continue as you wish. Pretty good build actually, seen it played. Works alot better apparently then it looks on paper.
    By RAW you cannot trade off anything that is a prerequisite for something you have, so I'd be surprised if you can trade off any of the wizard levels via the encroaching darkness mechanic.

Also, the point wasn't to go into dips to enter the classes, the goal here was to use just Shadowcaster/Warlock and enter a PrC that way. I realize there are ways to cheese yourself into PrC's with spellcasting requirements, I've seen hundreds of builds that do it, that's not what I'm trying to do. I'd actually like to see a PrC that was made with the intent of combining Shadowcaster and Warlock, not just a "progresses both classes" PrC. Kind of like how the Eldritch Theurge actually has interesting mechanics to combine your spellcasting and warlock abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    If I recall correctly (And I may not, so be sure to check with a prospective DM), you could also argue that shadowcaster, due to the unusual interaction between shadowcaster and mystic theurge, qualifies for the casting on both sides... it just can't progress itself twice.

So thus you could just go shadowcaster 3 / warlock 1 / Mystic Theurge 10.

Probably not RAI (And I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly if my analysis of the RAW is incorrect), but from a game balance point of view the resulting character certainly won't be breaking the game or anything. Neither shadowcasters nor warlocks are powerful classes, heh, so this will probably only help.
    I've always seen it interpreted that it only works for one side, but it's ambiguous enough that with a gullible DM you can probably get it to pass.
    Last edited by DurionArcanis; 2015-04-20 at 03:08 PM.