Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
*snip for*
It's a mindset I can appreciate. X2 Combo
As someone who has high functioning autism, allow to me weigh in on this.

I actually identify and agree with both Tedd AND Ashley. Because I found that in my experiences with having high functioning autism, I want both things: to have a group that I can identify with but at the same doesn't entirely define me.

Identity is not a simple thing that can be expressed purely in labels and words. On one hand, having a word for certain aspect of you is needed for good communication and to help yourself define that part of you, on the other hand, being JUST the label isn't really being you. You are bigger than any label anyone can put on you. A big part of learning about high-functioning autism for me- and probably a big part of learning identity for everyone- is knowing that a part of you, isn't ALL of you. That you are more than can be simply boringly defined, and thats ok! More than ok, thats beautiful. Indescribably, fascinatingly, wondrously beautiful.

I'm not autistic, I'm a person first, who has the trait of high-functioning autism. I identify with that yes, and it is true that I am part of the group in a way. However that does not define me. There is so much more than just that. A big part of individuality is knowing that the smaller definable parts of you add up to something undefinable but beautiful. I don't care how much you want me precisely defined, you can write book after book of biographies on a single person detailing their entire life in as much detail as possible, and you still won't capture them in full.

Really, I can tell you from my own experience that Tedd and Ashley are not all that different, they are on the same continuum- figuring out their identity. I'm thinking both Tedd and Ashley had no idea what to call what they were feeling before the words and it caused no amount of uncertainty of who or what they were, because they didn't know. Once they knew, it allowed them strength- strength enough to say "thats only a part of me". Its defining a piece of the puzzle of you, not all of it. Tedd, I'm pretty sure would him/herself argue that they are more than just gender-fluid: they are one who does science experiments with transformation technology, someone who is boy/girlfriend to Grace, someone who likes intellectual challenges, someone who likes nerdy interests, someone who likes playing videogames with Elliot, things like that.

Identity is a bunch of easily definable puzzle pieces that fit together into something we cannot fully see, a shape we cannot describe. And because of that, it is wondrous beyond compare.