Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
Which was precisely my point: the vast majority of religious people do NOT also have the properties B, C and D that those USA Americans ascribed to me. My particular religion (like almost all religions) has order of magnitude more adherents outside the US than inside, and yet those USA Americans assume that all religious people are like USA American religious people (without even going into "do characteristics B, C and D even appear in the vast majority of USA American religious?" question, btw, which I'm doubtful off but am not qualified to state).

In fact, there is a word for what you are doing (ascribing a member of a group characteristics you assume all members of the group has). It is not a nice word, and it is especially famous when it comes to those assumptions based on skin colour. So do tell, what is the practical difference between assuming that all members of religion X have properties B, C and D, and assuming that all members of race X have properties E, F and G? E.g. was the person that assumed that Ashley should learn English correct in his assumption, in your eyes, since the "vast majority" (to use your own words) of Asian people can't speak English?

Grey Wolf
As opposed to what, Canada Americans? USA Americans is not a proper descriptor. It's like saying Germany Germans.

The word is stereotyping and Mormegil already used that.