Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
False. The Mexicans are quite correct when they state that they are as American as people who live in the USA. Edit: and for that matter, so are Argentinians. There is no non-confusing USA patronymic, so you get a clarification. It is not like saying Germany Germans, it's like saying Germany Europeans, if "German" didn't exist. Or, to grab a real example, "Germany Dutch" to talk about the Pennsylvania Dutch immigrants to the USA.

Edit: reading a bit more on the topic of Mexican's trying to reclain the term American to mean everyone from the American continent, I have come across a word that means "person from the United States of America": estadounidense. I'll go ahead and replace that in my post above.

GW
Germany Germans?

Using English the way I do, that would be German Germans. Not that it's not still silly, it's just correctly silly now.

I have used "USAians" to refer to people from the USA before now, I think something like it is needed. It seems to me that there are two American continents connected by a landbridge. In my opinion they are not one continent, there is a landbridge, but there is a wider landbridge connecting Africa to Eurasia, and the difference between Europe and Asia is just how far West/North East/South you are.