Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
There are several other players that think the same in FFRP, including me! I love playing villain characters because the conflict with the protagonists allows me to give them more depth, and then in the end I (hopefully) get to write a death scene. (I also like playing "normal"/powerless characters for a similar reason.)
I didn't quite mean it in that sense. I more meant that I hoped I was the norm in the approach to Role Playing. And perhaps that requires some clarification and it'll probably sound snobbish. I don't Roleplay for escapism or because I want to play a "bad ass character". I'd be happy Role Playing someone with no powers if required. I've done it many times before. I do it because in a sense I see everyone as as role player. Everyone adopts different personalities in a manner of speaking through their day to day life. We've all worn masks who aren't -us- on a deeply fundamental level. And that's why I role play. I role play to practice that seamless shift from me to someone else and to understand other people. If I can role play someone who so isn't me then I feel I've gained insight into someone else. Someone I may well meet down the road and in that way be able to empathize and understand them on a level they're not expecting. Role playing isn't just an outlet of creativity for me. It's an outlet to practice and feel out social norms. In that sense, The Young Thunder Sage isn't me. He can't be me. His power level is his power level because it's who he is. The IC/OOC connection exists only in that I'm the one writing physically. But, and I'd hope, it wasn't me writing him mentally. And I hope that that's the norm.