1. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: [MTG] Community Set Project - Discussion, Brainstorming, Exploratory Design

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I will note that when a permanent phases out it does not leave the battlefield and it is not in the Exile zone, and we might want to review phasing rules before using deciding to use it or not (also it doesn't cause memory issues with EoT abilities, it ceases to exist so they cease to affect it... unless they specifically affect phased out objects).

Phasing would actually be really interesting since there are things you can do with it that haven't been done (cards to interact with it, which would need to be kept at a minimum due to parasitic effects, enchantments with different effects whether phased in or out, etc), but is typically considered to have been a bad mechanic from what I've heard and is one that most people don't remember the rules to. It'd also probably not be best to bring it and flip cards back at the same time, so we'd probably want to choose one or the other.
    I'd go with flip cards, personally, though I'd really like an obvious difference between a dream world and reality. It opens some interesting interactions and mechanics, is fairly easy to use in a basic way, and is (in my opinion) more flavorful than making things just interact with your hand. One way that might be cool is to just have the flipped cards have a (sub/super)type, and then reference that, to alleviate memory problems yet create a status that means you are in the dream world. For example, my previous cards:

Mystic Grovetender G
    Creature - Satyr C
    T - Flip ~.
    1/1
    //
    Dreaming Grovetender
    Enchantment - Dream Satyr U
    At the beginning of your first main phase, add G to your mana pool.

Watcher of Bliss 2WW
    Creature - Angel U
    * is the number of Dreams you control.
    T - Flip ~. Prevent the next * damage to target creature or player this turn.
    */*

Distant Watcher
    Enchantment - Dream Angel R
    T, WW - Flip ~.

Ethereal Predator 2GG
    Creature - Lizard Beast U
    T - Flip target Dream. If it is a creature, ~ fights it.
    3/3

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I'm still pushing either a library or enchantment theme, or both.
    This would be an Enchantment theme, I think. Conveniently enough, creatures flipping into enchantments was already a thing, so this might work out
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2015-05-04 at 09:56 PM.