View Single Post

Thread: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

1. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Pub: Off-topic chat for forum gamers

This is all just part of Ducks scheme to get me to run Cat Fight again, isn't it?

On a more serious note, I play WW for the RP first, shenanigans second. If I can't find a foil for the former, then I start looking for the later. RP in WW has gotten rare, I think the last Fears game was the last one to really focus on it, or at least it was the last one to really grab me with the narrative. It's a shame, but it's not the only way to play. There's room for both styles in a game, and all the shades of grey in between, but it becomes an issue when one style dominates the other. I miss being able to just RP a character and not really give a crap about the tactics.

Another side effect of lack of RP is the adverse affect it has on some very narrative narrators. Fears relied on character development to feed the narrations, as did WoD and Advent Children to an extent, and Vampire. The urge to run these narrative games dissipates in me when I think of how little my story will probably be participated in. I might as well run Cat Fight again, comedy games are easy to write for, and less effort for the same result. It's a selfish way to be, and I freely admit it, but I wouldn't be surprised if other narrators had reservations about putting in the effort to run story-driven WW's because the player base as a whole might not participate in the story.

Thing is, I'm guilty of it as a player too. My time is limited, and if I don't find an RP foil early I stop trying. I should make more of an effort if I'm going to moan about it, and so I will.

Jeez, serious Banjo is serious.

*trips over invisible rock*

*rolls end over end into nearby stream*

There, that's better.
    Last edited by banjo1985; 2015-05-14 at 01:39 AM.

Excellent Elan & Yoshi avatar by Mr Saturn