Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
Spoiler
Show
I'm a sales rep... when I go to a prospective client, I have a pricelist and a discretionary percentage of discount I can offer... besides the discount, there are further options to sweaten the deal and a host of reasons I can bring to the table why it would be of mutual interest to make said deal.
I open the transaction handing over the pricelist.. the buyer says he wants 50% discount.. then we go back and forth until we agree on what the discount will be.
Gonzales came in with what was a reasonable argument to why he gave the full pricelist. If both parties had wanted a transaction/agreement, Jiaying would have countered saying "we don't like it.. it would be best if you just left us all alone".. and then both parties could have taken stock and revised their proposals until they either found an agreement or agreed that an agreement couldn't be reached. Sometime along the back and forth, one or both parties could have decided to go for a more direct approach.
Jiaying nuked his face instead of considering the proposal, and given how she'd juiced up Cal well before the quinnjets landed, it is clear that she was dealing in bad faith. but then, we already knew she would, because if her strategy had not been planned well in advance and her decision had not already been made, Raina could never have foreseen the course events would have taken
Spoiler: War is Negotiation by Other Means
Show
In sales, you are meeting with a client that wants your product or service and you want to sell it, the only thing to argue is price. In this case Jiaying didn't want anything Gonzales had to offer, and Gonzales is making his proposal under an implicit threat of force. The cases are fundamentally different.