1. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Werewolf Central X: Important WW information goes here - READ OPENING POSTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Pffffft. I see what you did there.

Though yeah, whether it was your intent to or not, I do think that's what you did. At the very least that's how it would look from my perspective and it clearly did to Luizeu as well. I guess you could avoid the issue by not saying things like "overly defensive" and actually use the more clear language you just did now? At the very least someone can make an argument against being accused (correctly or not) of using an emotional appeal, which should ease the frustration issue.
    Sometimes, the best way to prove a point is by example.

Well, I did attempt to clarify it in the followup post I did. It's just that my definition of overdefensiveness is generally intentionally adding emotional appeal into the arguments or phrasing an argument a certain way so that it tries to deflect suspicion. The issue, it seems, is when it's not an intentional emotional appeal but rather a person's natural posting pattern, because they end up potentially getting offended or seeing it as unfair, which I can understand on some level.

And if someone unintentionally uses emotional appeals a lot, I would hope the playerbase that does do that type of thing would adjust. For example, if I see you use one, I'm less likely to assume it's an intentional deflection but rather part of your natural posting pattern. It's just hard to keep track of every player who I've ever played werewolf with in that manner.

EDIT: Part of it is I think that when we have discussed this type of thing in the past, it's been hard to because people don't tend to think in terms of Pathos, Logos, and Ethos in arguments and I know we haven't discussed it much at all about it that way on this forum. Having clearer language helps.

EDIT 2: Added links to the edit for fun.
    Last edited by TFT; 2015-06-12 at 03:07 PM.
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.