Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
Still finding my feet DMing but enjoying it so far.

On the scale of sandbox to railroad I am probably 80% towards sandbox. I have an overarching plot to the world and by the worlds nature powerful NPCs will have an effect on the PCs whatever they do.

If I have a set of factions and background set out for a port city at the start of a campaign and my players think "screw it, boats are cool - lets go overseas" then they can go but there is a serious risk that across the pond things may not be too different to where they started and similar things with different names may unfold there.

Otherwise I am about variety. I like fights that occasionally play to characters strengths - an occasional cluster of badguys round a campfire to be a prime fireball target for example but also some really tough running battles that need careful resource management against veterans using all their knowledge and tactics to fight effectively. Overall I am pretty tough.

I think the big thing I try and do is have enemies react, within combat and within adventure paths. If PCs crash down a door into a room to fight whatever is in there a round or two later the guys from across the hall will come in behind them. If they rob a temple then a bunch of paladins may come searching for them.

I do like dungeons - for a broad description of them. As a bit of an aside to a main quest they allow you to build an area in detail as they wont change much for most likely player actions. This can save one preparation as you can do a bunch earlier. Where the players want a more hack and slash session they might find their way into one.
What you described is 100% sandbox. The players just aren't the only ones playing in it.