Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
I think I may have missed that thread. Thanks for the head's up.

Magic Origins is the summer expansion. MM2 fills the Commander/Planechase/etc. space.

Nope. Among the players in tournaments that decide what Wizards thinks of the metagame, Tarmogoyf's price is a non-factor. And while Tarmogoyf is a great card, it is not the best card for all possible decks. If you're attacking with creatures and running Green, Tarmogoyf is pretty good. If you're trying to combo out, not running green, or are more reliant on synergy than size, Tarmogoyf is not particularly good. If everyone had a Tarmogoyf, I would imagine we would see less Tarmogoyf-based decks, as people would get over the myth that Tarmogoyf is the best card ever and stop trying to cram him into absolutely everything.

Also, what? Who thinks MM2 sucks at all? The set's pretty fantastic from what I've seen.
I say MM2 sucks and the heaps of MM2 packs in the trash at my LGS say it sucks.
To clarify, MM2 is like Coldsnap (Coldsnap being my standard for sets whose packs are only opened for a very few rares) in that it has several chase rares and a lot of chaff practically no one needs.

And Goyf was just the example. You'll note I explained further that I was considering all the Modern staples I've heard complaints about there being too few of.

Also, my concern is that no, Goyf isn't the best card. But if there were enough of him to go around every deck might turn into a Goyf deck. This is what I meant by the format going stale, eg the reason WotC cited for banning Jace 2.0 and Stoneforge way back when.