1. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Let's Read B/X: The Moldvay/Cook Basic and Expert Sets for D&D

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Why ever not? They are different games with different strengths. If you run every game like it's AD&D, you miss their purposes.
    I did not say I ran all games like I did the older editions of D&D, I said I ran 3rd edition and Pathfinder like I did the older editions. I also said d20 in general, as IMO, if you're running a d20 game, regardless of genre, it does not matter if the characters are carrying crossbows, muskets, Thompson sub-machine guns, M-16 assault rifles, or Plasma rifles, the games all run the same. Now, as far as entirely different games systems, like Call of Cthulhu, Alternity, or Top Secret for example, I do in fact, run those differently than I do the older editions of D&D.

This is contradicting what you said above.
    I don't believe that it does. I mean I was talking about how the later editions of (specifically) D&D have lost something that I believe the older editions had right.

As far as "One True-Wayism", well, I make no bones about being a "Card carrying 'You kids get off my lawn!' grognard" and thus have a definite bias toward the older editions of D&D. I don't like how the newer editions have taken away the focus of player action vs. character action; I much prefer presenting problems for the players to overcome, and not to just let the players roll some die in order to overcome a challenge presented to their character, I prefer to have players (especiall of non-thieves) tell me exactly where and how their characters search for a trap.

But...

I also make it clear that these are just my opinions, and how I continue to run my games. I never claim that my way is the only, correct way to play.

(Quick aside on the balance bit... Oldschool D&D, especially IMO the RC variety, is a pretty elegantly-balanced game, especially when compared to 3.x/PF. When played close to by-the-book, class balance is tighter than it would get again until 4e. AD&D, too, has good balance mechanisms...
    And that's what I meant, I think that the later editions of D&D, strived too hard for over-all balance, and missed the mark, with 4th edition going too far (IMO) in making things overly balanced.

There are different games so that people can have different experiences when roleplaying... ...It's eye-opening to see what's out there and break out of the D&D paradigm.
    I agree. I have many different game systems, both old and new, in which I own and play.
    Last edited by Digitalelf; 2015-06-26 at 02:51 AM.
    "Its amazing how hostile people can get about an entirely optional campaign setting that they werent forced to play."

-Weasel Fierce (of Dragonsfoot)-