1. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The most resilient gender conventions in roleplaying games?

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    In any home-brew and often in official published works matriarchal society males are at best serfs, slaves most often, and rest of the time killed on sight and/or food.
    Neither the Realm nor the Glorious Principality of An-Teng conform to this, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex
    The PC halfling is a male rogue. Important NPC halflings who are not rogues are female.
    Last game of mine that had halflings in it at all, this wasn't true.

PCs never have to rescue a prince from a dragon.
    Guilty, but I did make an adventure where the PCs need to rescue a dragon from a princess.

In taverns, the bartender is always male. The PCs are always served by a waitress, never a waiter. The owner, if not the bartender, is male.
    The PCs of my seafaring game have been to two taverns and two inns: one tavern had a male bartender, the other a female bartender, and both were owned by women; both inns were run by men, but one was owned by a man.

It's never a War goddess or Love god. A goddess can have War in her portfolio and a god have Love, but it's not what what they're generally known for.
    I'll notify Cupid immediately.

Also the Exalted setting has gods and goddesses of war, ranging from Ahlat (god of southern warfare and cattle) to Siakal (goddess of western warfare and sharks) to the Maiden of Battles herself.

Why, yes, I do take special notice of these things. Why do you ask?
    Don't quit your day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    The female PC with the highest charisma is almost always volunteered to seduce the guard, regardless of sexual orientation or willingness to do so. Assuming there are multiple girls at the table. Otherwise the only one gets volunteered.
    Honestly never had the PCs try and seduce information out of a guard, so I don't have an answer for that.

Transgender Female NPCs are almost invariably sex workers or villains. And almost always the butt of **** jokes.
    In the Exalted setting, the city of Chiaroscuro has the Dereth; Dereth will be doing the same thing other people of their gender do, so there would reasonably be a few female Dereth sex workers (and male ones), but more likely you'll come across a Dereth woman that runs a teahouse, or manages a household, et cetera.

Transgender Male NPCs don't exist.
    In addition to the Dereth, the Exalted setting also has the Tya, transmen who ritually scar themselves and sail the western ocean.

It might also make you happy to know that of the iconic characters of the new edition, one is transgendered.

Bisexual Male NPCcs are villains.
    My seafaring game is thankfully an exception; the thunderbird who gave the Storm King his magical cudgel has yet to grow a black goatee.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2015-06-29 at 08:16 AM.