Freyr's Nectar

Freyr was thought of a the male norse sex god, as well as the god of sunshine, good crops, sacral kingship, virility and proserity. Freyr, in the form of Yngvi-Freyr, is also thought of to be the ancestor of the Swedish royal family. So how to better honour him by making a strawberry (in Dutch also called kings of summer) and passionfruit (*wriggles eyebrows*) mead? My phone's camera is still out of business so I'll have to rely on my storytelling powers to teach you this one (I have high hopes for this brew).

For about 5L of mead:

I start with about 1 kg of strawberries, cut off the crowns and put them in a pan large enough to hold a volume of 1L. Then I'll add the insides of 8 passionfruits (the goopy bits that is). In comes about 2 kg of honey. Protip: use one of the pots to brew a cup of tea, let it cool and use the honey/tea as a starter for your yeast once the correct temperature has been reached. Now add water until you get to about 4L of honey/strawberries/passionfruitgoop/water and heat it up while stirring. The stirring is to prevent the honey form caramelising (or rather: burning). Once you get the mixture to simmer, try and sq2uash the strawberreis a bit. This will increase the surface area of hte strawberries to give of flavour and scent. By now the contents of your pot should look like someone tried to swallow passionfruits and strawberreis with minimal chewing, and regurgitated them back into the pot. Gross, I know, but this will tell you you're doing it right. Set the potto cool and get your yeast. Your packet of yeast should come with instructions, detailing how to start it and so on. Follow these instructions by cooling/heating your honeyed tea to the correct temperature and pitch in the yeast. mix frequently untill all the grains of yeast have dissolved. When your mixture has cooled enough (see yeast packet for target temperature) pour it into your fermentation unit. then add the yeast, close the lid and add the waterlock. Put your fermentation unit at a palce of constant temeprature and little natural light and wait until the bubbling stops. Also, don't forget to shake things up form time to time. This will help the yeast eat all that delicious sugar and turn it into even more delicious alcohol.

Soon I'll tell you how to filter and such. If you want a more detailed instruction, with includced pictures, look at this post...