Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
Race is just as SOCIALLY relevant, even if it's not biologically relevant.

Racism is an overarching systemic bias. Being white and "Identifying" as black means you're taking on the symbolic struggles (and victories) for yourself without facing the actual systemic challenges. It's pretty problematic behavior.

Color Blindness doesn't work, yet. We've gotta fix a lot of problems that are related to race before we get to the point where ignoring race is useful.
I do not think this forum is the place to debate whether color blindness works or not; I will say that, anecdotally, it was working in my tiny world until the last decade's resurgence of insistence on attention being paid to it. But that's anecdotal.

Recognize that one could say that sex is still socially relevant, too, and that by "identifying" as a woman when you are a man, you are taking on the symbolic struggles (and victories) of women for yourself without facing the actual systemic challenges.

Spoiler: Treading as close to the line as I am willing to on this forum
Show

Similarly, "identifying" as white when you are black should be perfectly acceptable, yet the hostility anybody who dared do so would face from what currently calls itself the civil rights community is almost terrifying. Just look what happens, without "identifying" as white, to those blacks who dare speak about personal responsibility and try to hold up their own successes as examples.

In reality, I'm a realist. You are what you are. If you wish to identify differently, I honestly don't care until you start demanding things of me because of it. I play RPGs wherein I pretend to be a 60-ft. red-scaled fire-breathing shapeshifting lizard. I do not personally think I am such in real life, but as long as it's not hurting anybody else, whose business is it if, tomorrow, I did? I try to live and let live. As I've said, all I ask in return is that others return the courtesy. And preferably, treat others as they wish to be treated.