Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
You don't need an explanation any more than you need to know what exactly he means by "a form of fusion."
I'm presuming that they're using hydrogen to helium fusion, being the most energy to mass dense form of fuel known to theoretical science short of total matter to energy annihilation: the dream of cold fusion may yet be beyond them, but if they've got hot fusion that's probably good enough. All they need is a source of hydrogen: if they're cracking water with electrolysis to get hydrogen and oxygen (incidentally also a good way to keep their human pets alive in the absence of photosynthetic plants), they would have a source of it that should be more sustainable than solar power (the hydrogen in the ocean if used as a fuel source for a civilization with comparable power needs to earth today would last about 150 billion years, which is well past the life expectancy of the sun (5 billion years) or the earth (incinerated when the sun converts to helium fusion and expands). But I think it's probably foolish to plan more than a couple million years ahead at this juncture, their civilization is maybe 300 years old, you know, and I don't expect a day old infant to have put any thought into their retirement fund so they can hang up their hat at 65...

Whereas Lucy, they give us a plot hole with no explanation that makes sense. And granted, you can have fun with it, but I really like my movies to make sense.