Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
Personally, I was turned off from Underdark by that series. You know. The one that caused the Linear Order's caster to get hauled away by lawyers for copyright infringement? The one that makes it seem like all drow on the surface carry twin scimitars and are emo rangers? Yea. The series that launched a thousand fanboys. There was only one series which was more poorly written (in my own personal opinion), and the less said about that self-insert gary stu of a wizard, the better.

There's no reason to go down to the Underdark, much less the Lowerdark. There is absolutely nothing worth your time and effort to go down there for. If you can survive the Underdark, then you can go make a living killing Dragons for their hoards and live the easy life after making the world a better place by decimating the chromatic dragon population. Or you can go plane-hopping and ruin economies by trading iron for gold in Krynn and coming back with an archmage's ransom. Or you can just knock off the odd tyrant or two and peacefully rule your new kingdom more fairly than the previous ruler did.

The animals are lethal. The FUNGUS is lethal. Sometimes, even the WATER is lethal. The inhabitants are either psychopaths, bent on possessing your soul, or all of the above. Well, some of them merely wish to be left alone and will enforce this wish with lethal force the moment you get too close, whether or not you actually knew you got too close. And they're the nice ones.

And if you are unfortunate enough to find your way into the Lowerdark, start rolling your new character now unless you are CharOp level optimized.

It isn't worth it. I don't care what that sleezy merchant is offering for parts found in the Underdark, it isn't worth it. Odds are, he's probably working for one faction or another wanting fresh suckers and you're walking into a trap. On the outside chance that the offer is legit, whatever he is sending you after is going to be valuable, which means it is either being farmed by one of the Underdark's denizens, who will object to you trying to take it, or it is so dangerous that not even the denizens of the Underdark want anything to do with it. Which means it will likely be able to eat your face, or it is exceedingly rare.
You know what this makes me think of? World's Largest Dungeon.