Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
Toy Story 3 was one of three animated Best Picture nominees ever, so that's one of them, supposed unoriginality aside. Up was another. For the third, Wall-E is more hyped than Brave, hence more likely to be the object of hype backlash.
Wall-E got me with their soundtrack. I'm fairly certain that I could just close my eyes and listen to the movie and like it just as well as I did. The backgrounds were also pretty amazing, enough so that I was willing to overlook any other shortcomings.

Up? Wow. I have not one positive thing to say about that one, though. Maybe just the opening tragedy. It seemed deep and emotionally charged. But everything after that? I'm sorry. I found it to be bland, predictable, uninspired... and the 'bad guy' was murdering people and putting their heads onto pikes because his peers dismissed a single discovery? What the...?

Has anyone else noticed that Pixar seems to do their best, anyway, when they don't have any real villains? Incredibles aside, Bad Guys like Sid from Toy Story, Chick Hicks from the first Cars movie, or various threats from Finding Nemo are just minor obstacles to overcome. The real conflicts in their better scripts seem to involve personal growth rather than punching someone in the face.