Hello! Looking for a OD&D game focused upon narrative flow and descriptive cinematic combat? Me too. I'm overly impressed with what has been created in the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game (BFRPG) and feel it would be ideal for play by post. It is a pretty rules light system that will get you up and running quickly. A character could be generated in 10-20 minutes and the rules are easy to follow. I will be running a module from the BFRPG site that will amount to a one shot. After it is completed we can see if people are interested in playing longer.

About the Dragonclaw Barony setting

Dragonclaw Barony is a provincial yet rough and ready area, reminiscent of ancient England or Wales. The primary terrain of the Barony is rolling fields and gentle hills, though the Dragonclaw Mountains, from which the Barony takes its name, cut a wide swath through the center of the land. The borders of the barony are primarily comprised of natural features: the forests of Norwood, the northern Dragonclaw Mountains, and the Badlands in the north and west; and the Sea of Storms, the southern Dragonclaws, and the Dreadwood to the east and south.

The Barony was once a small independent kingdom known as llancrest. Four hundred years ago, armies from the Kingdom of Albion, to the distant north, forcibly annexed the lands to serve as a southern base in their perennial wars with the eastern kingdom of Kar'Tegra. Llancrest was renamed as "Llancrest Barony" and a new ruler from Albion was given control of the land. Over the years, as the Barony grew more and more independent, the court at Albion began to refer to the distant frontier area as "that Dragonclaw barony", referring to the high mountain range that bisected the countryside; "Dragonclaw Barony" was eventually adopted as the official name of the land.

Spoiler: The Big 16
Show
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Basic Fantasy Role Playing. Free rules available here

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

This will be a modified published adventure on the BFRPG website.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

I will take the first three players that express serious interest. It will be expected that players (and me!) post 4-5 times per week. Weekends optional.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Giantitp forums.

I would prefer character sheets in Myth Weavers (share the link with me) choosing the D&D Basic option.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Create a 2nd level character. Max hit points at first level and then average or roll for every level after that.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Per rules

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Core book or any of the other play tested classes on the website. Casters are encouraged to use the 0 Level spells supplement.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Per the rules.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

As per normal rules

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Let's just agree to avoid evil characters.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Per the rules.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

You do your rolls in spoilers in the IC threads. I do mine (and secret ones).

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

I've already mentioned the major ones but if something else seems interesting to you let me know.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Yes. Use the D&D 5e approach of having a bond and a flaw. We'll flesh the rest out when the game gets up and running.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A good mix. I like BFRPG because the rules are streamlined allowing more narrative freedom.

I will create a spreadsheet to share maps for travel and combat.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

I would prefer we stick with the core book and major supplements that have been play tested.

Post your questions in this thread.

Character applications here