I tend to load up on one type of roll and one of the swapping abilities to make my abilities work more often. Murderous Love is particularly nice because the Conflict abilities tend to be more generic than the others, and Allure is almost certainly going to be one of the most common rolls to make if Conflict isn't an option. That or get abilities that aren't tied to one attribute, whether from a roll type not being specified (School Queen, for example) or it being a limited flat boost (such as Down and Dirty).

Dice fudgery is also good, since sometimes you just need to get a 4 or better on a roll and don't want to leave things up to chance. Automatic success abilities like Heir to the Dojo are good when you know your GM likes to put at least one super hard, unopposed roll in episodes. Also, not all flat abilities are created equally. Shameless is a very easy +2 to Allure, as are things like Maiden's Garb if you're playing in an American setting. By contrast, Honor Student's +2 to Skill might come up in half of Skill rolls if you're lucky, even though the modifier is the same.

It's something you kind of have to play around with. Right now I'm experimenting with an "I'm going to do everything" build that mixes Kuudere and Sensei-chan for at least +4 on three of the four roll types for a few scenes, then blow one roll while at -6 only to use that failure for a massive bonus later. In theory, I know what I'm going to do for 8 scenes, which should get most of the way through an episode. Another is the aforementioned "Conflict=Allure" with enough dice control to be a strong contender in most opposed rolls. Find ways to combo abilities off of each other. If an ability imposes a negative, consider Down and Dirty to make it a positive later. You're not going to win every roll, might as well make that loss work for you. If you think you've got opposed rolls on lock, consider Vampiric Drain in a supernatural game to make those wins earn you even more points.

Then there are the few ways to make things harder for others. Serious Business, Dazzling Display and Insane Driver can all play hell with the other players, even if they are optimized. Just as Planned as written right now is a good "You literally can't win" option if you just want to make sure someone can't keep up with you or want to hold someone back while you catch them. It also pairs rather comically with Compassion, which gives you 1.5 times the VP the person you target would have earned, which I'm sure isn't rules as intended.

In general, every character should have a way they are intended to play, which is likely reflected in their personality. "Yuuka threatens everyone she sees, but there's something alluring about the way she wields a blade," (Yandere with Murderous Love) "Chen is a borderline narcoleptic catgirl who practices magic to manipulate her friends," (Catgirl focused on Allure and dice screw) or "Kokoro has DID, which sometimes works out for her and sometimes does not," (Chuunibyou, using the ability to swap attributes to get bonuses or penalties as she needs). It also is a good way to jump off on personality if you are having writer's block.