I, too, started with a really bad starter because nobody told me otherwise. Check the cute little dude in my avatar - he was it, and now he's a survey dungeon drop.

I stalled out, too, spending more money than I should have in random non-godfest REM rolls, continues, and the like. I eventually switched to ADK which was decent enough in the game at the time, but eh...

Anyway! Let's say you are really stubborn like I was and just don't want to reroll. I get it - I've been there, too, and the sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a thing. If that describes you, here's a way forward with Saiga, but please please please save up magic stones for future godfests.

Option 1 (2012 style):
(1) Start using Tyrra. The starter dragons eventually evolve into decent enough leaders. Stack your team with Red monsters, which definitely means no Saiga. Midgard can stay for now for the HP sink.
(2) Make friends with other Red multiplier leads. Ares, Freyr, Shiva, and other Tyrras.
(3) Get a team of red goblins. Evolve them to their final form.
(4) Keep evolving Tyrra.
(5) Farm for a Gigas and an Echidna, eventually Ult Evo Tyrra.

Option 2 (2013 style):
(1) Keep with Saiga and start stacking your team with dragons.
(2) Make friends with Ancient Dragon Knight (or Ancient Dragon Knight Zeal) friends
(3) Farm for an Ancient Dragon Knight and use it as your lead. Evolve up the Ripper Dragon series.

Both of these will be rather painfully slow, but both are possible. SAVE YOUR FREE STONES. Spend stones only on box space and on Godfest rolls.