Generally what I try to keep in mind is the table mood, as well as the general degree of attention and involvement of the players. Its not so much about what the players directly want, as much as the things that will work with their mood. If everyone is frustrated OOC, I'll hold off on more potentially frustrating elements or at least delay them till the next session. If there was just a big peak point and everyone is excited, I'll try to wind down without having too much in the way of things that can break the mood, so that the session ends on that note and the mood carries through the week.

The other thing I keep in mind is each player's hooks - the things which they respond strongly to, and which I can pretty easily predict the response. If their interest in the game is flagging or they're getting distracted, I can throw in something that calls to their hook. Since I know how they respond to it, I can also use one player's hook to break party-wide stagnation (e.g. if no one can agree what to do, I'll throw in a call to their hook and it'll create movement that will tend to drag the other players along with). The hooks are not always just 'what the player wants', just what they respond strongly to.