View Single Post

Thread: World of Warships: General Quarters!

1. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: World of Warships: General Quarters!

I've just gone from the IJN CL line (Kuma) to the CA line (Furutaka) and it's a pretty major change in gameplay.

While the Kuma is the quick, agile, high ROF ship that all the earlier tier CLs are, the Furutaka plays much more like a BB, although without the HP and armour (its guns can't even track the same point at full rudder, much like a BB and the 21 second shell change time is only 9 seconds off the Myogi's reload time).

While I'm used to playing BBs (only 1k xp off the Burning Love of the Kongo! ), I hope the Furutaka is going to improve a bit when I unlock more modules, else I might go back down to the Kuma.

I know the ship was historically badly overweight, but every time I pull a full rudder turn at top speed, the ship looks like it's going to capsize (I wonder if firing the inside 200mm guns at the turn apex would be enough to tip it?)

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Torpedoes are there as a last resort on US cruisers.
    They're also useful for area denial as the range is sufficient to scare off destroyers trying to sneak through channels between islands and their slow speed makes sure it's closed off for a little while (or at least long enough for you to get some space).
    I find they're also good for a speculative shot around an island just before you disappear around the other side of it.

Quote Originally Posted by qechua View Post
    Something else to remember with the Omaha (can't remember if it also holds true for the Phoenix) is the side guns have a limited traverse. Normally, this is a bad thing, but with the Omaha's turning circle, it's possible to pull a circle and still be firing to near full effect. This is good a) if your rudder gets jammed and b) because people generally don't expect a ship to pull a donut; if it starts turning it's either going 180 to retreat or it's just evading/repositioning. Sparing use of a 270/360 at range gives you another option, particularly against BB's who don't want to waste their volley.
    I have a habit of using the Q and E rudder controls rather than the A and D controls, so I tend to get stuck pulling donuts quite often when I get critical'ed. It works for a bit until they realise what I'm doing then I just get shot up.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2015-07-30 at 07:01 AM.