Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
This is a good question. If I were to try online dating I'd have the same type of problem, because I'm asexual. Normal-people dating these days seems to come with the expectation of physical intimacy after 3-5 dates. Super weird.
Yeah. I'm in a bit of a different situation, since I'm not asexual, but it seems very weird to me, too. Although I guess I can understand physical intimacy after five or so dates, but that would be about the lower limit of when I think I might be comfortable with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
The easiest way to convey such a thing is to do it right in the profile itself. If you can keep it reasonably short, I'd also point out the reasons for such a slow approach, whether it's a matter of character, psychological inclination, cultural background, medical issue, religious conviction.. Any clear reasoning behind your "I take dating really slow and won't go for hanky-panky anytime soon but it doesn't mean I don't like you" message will probably resonate with potential partners who are of the same opinion and work at the same speed... Thereby providing you with a handy filter. Anybody who reads that and still gets in touch is probably equipped to deal with it or even happy about it. If they don't and still get in touch, you can always point them towards your profile so they can readjust their expectations or move on.
Clear communication is always your best tool.
That makes sense. I'll have to work out the best wording a bit, but I think I can manage that. I'm pretty sure my reasons for wanting things to go slow are just because that's who I am, but to be honest it may just be because I've never done any romantic-y stuff. Whatever the reason for my discomfort, though, I think it's best if I take things slow to start, and reevaluate later if I find that I'm more comfortable with it later.

I'm a bit busy right now, what with moving to a new apartment (just down the road from my old one), so I probably won't be able to work on my profile much in the next few days, but when I do have something I'll see about getting specific comments. I'll probably go the PM route, since I am kind of paranoid about posting a link to my profile.

I do want to thank both of you for your comments. Just getting some friendly responses has helped my stress level with this whole thing immensely.