Quote Originally Posted by xBlackWolfx View Post
That is actually quite interesting. Especially the part about the monsters being bound to the trainer's soul, and there being a natural limit on how many a person can carry around with them at once. It would certainly explain why everywhere you go there's people who for whatever reason don't have 6 monsters with them, I mean even the gym leaders in the games never have 6. I don't think the original elite 4 did either.

And I guess you are right. Tournaments in a world like this would make sense, but I imagine trainers would still be expected to do something of actual practical use from time to time.
Quick lunch-break post:
I find this setting idea interesting, and I have a lot I want to say. For now, I'd just challeng the words "from time to time" in your last sentence above. If most, all, or even a substantial minority of people can summon quasi-magical beasts to do their bidding, they're going to do a lot with it besides fighting. They'll be doing the jobs of draft animals, providing labor, food, transportation, and possibly much more, depending on their powers.