Quote Originally Posted by xBlackWolfx View Post
And its also partially because of the 'uncanny valley' effect, a phenomenon where things become creepy to us if they strongly resemble humans, but aren't quite identical to humans. Think about it, if you were a farmer or a butcher, wouldn't you be creeped out if one the animals you slaughter suddenly spoke to you?
If Crows were always able to speak and had higher level thinking and society and such, I doubt it would effect how I think about cows. I find it highly unlikely that a creature that talk would ever be adopted as cattle, except in desperate situations. Thought the chance of a creature being considered an abomination to be burned with fire drastically increases with how similar it looks to humans.

You could have a very intelligent creature who considers humans it's slaves while humans consider them pets, like cats. With the question of who is actually in charge being left up in the air.

An idea I heard in this video is that human are a kind of Pokemon and if as mentioned previously hands and the ability to build stuff is what separates man and monster in this world, what's stopping someone from binding another human to their soul? Sense the binding process allows you to tame otherwise hostile animals, wouldn't that mean that a person bound to you would be submissive to you whether they like it or not. Depending on how the process works, you could be able to get rid of a person by binding them and bringing them far from the edge. There would be no body so no evidence other then tools used in the binding process, which any self respecting trainer should have access to any way. Laws and morals would prevent most people from doing that, and the remaining madmen and control freaks who do it would make excellent antagonists to oppose or villeins to become. I imagine a urban legend of a man in a dark cloak stalking the streets at night looking for victims and retreating to the sewers at night to train them to do horrid tasks.