Quote Originally Posted by Bellberith View Post
I am looking for a system that is for the most part level-less. I don't want to be caught in the D20 game problem of my players wanting to be a higher level to gain cool abilities but as a consequence not be able to be challenged by nearly anything that isnt a demon invasion or god of some sort because they are level 20 (mainly a 3.5 problem.... but it applies to other level-based D20 systems to a lesser extent).

A system that is designed to be fluent with combat. Good hitting and dodging/blocking/whatever mechanics. Something like Shadowrun 5e but WAY more simple, or something like VtM but more balanced. (Overly complex systems like Shadowrun 5e and Exalted are a no-go... Not that Shadowrun 5e is too complicated in itself, but the book is so bloated and the rules are all over the place so its a chore to find anything. It turns off most would-be players instantly. Same with Exalted.)

I would like it to be a completely open sandbox kinda like Star Wars Saga, doesn't have to be sci-fi or a giant galaxy setting, but something where my players will have a nearly infinite amount of options to do things.

Being able to dodge/block bullets and sword or whatever is fine, and magic/psionics is also fine. But a non-heroic setting in the sense where if you get shot in the head you will probably die would be good too... (basically i dont want someone to have 300hp and get stabbed 40 times and not die.)

~Thank you for any and all recommendations.

I know what i asked might be a tall order as i havent found an answer yet, but im hoping there is something out there.
Okay, add the word generic and you've basically described GURPS: a theoretically complex system that works off of 3d6 roll under rolls. If wearing armour you can probably survive a hit or two, but you've at least entered into the spiral of death where most hits either make you less effective or increase your chance to die. On average a PC should be out of the fight and possibly dead after a couple of hits unless lucky, and this is before you get into how damage multiplies after DR based upon damage type (still need to get pi+++++ past a GM). Combat is similar to Shadowrun.

If you don't know what to do character creation can take ages (and the sheet barely gives enough space for skills), but play is relatively simple.

Plus it let's you do a near infinite number of things.

It really is a Marmite system though (you'll love it or hate it), but I think it should be worth looking into.

Plus you can make hilarious characters, I have one that works by RAW because of what the Extra Attack advantage doesn't say (dwarf+extra attack 4+fast draw 16+barrel of rifles+gullible GM allows you to fire up to 5 single shot rifles with your primary hand in one second by making skill checks, any reasonable GM would limit you to 1 or 2 rifles).