View Single Post

Thread: [Nexus] The Black Dragon's Den XIII

1. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Black Dragon's Den XIII

[Fireside]

"Consider it a small favor for a small favor then. And at least let me buy the next round," Bo replies, and directs a look at the serving staff that says two more of the same, please.

"One other thing, then. Well, a couple of things. About the only honest work I know is soldiering or sorcery, or both - so I'm wondering if this realm settles disputes by mercenary armies, champions' duels, or some other way that might mean employment for an ex-soldier who doesn't want to turn bandit or policeman."

Bo takes a drink, and gestures with the jar at the room around them, most of its shadows being filled with rough customers. "Looks like plenty of those sorts here. Good prospects for the press gang."

A few of the meaner looking prospects stare back at him, apparently not amused. "Anyway, I suppose what I'm asking is just a general idea of how the law and the politics work around here."

The next round arrives at last, and Bo continues. "And the other, of course, is this. You look like you've been in a few fights yourself. Can you tell me where to go, or who to talk to, that might be hiring for that sort of work?" After a moment, he adds, "Temporarily, at least. I'm not looking to start my own mercenary company. Or a construction company either, although I suppose I could, given time. But that kind of enterprise takes capital, contacts, a reputation. I'm just looking for work while I learn something of this city and its ways. Because it seems likely that I'm not going back for quite a while."
    Last edited by Orm-Embar; 2015-08-12 at 08:55 PM.
    Staring into the dragon's jaw, one quickly learns wisdom. - Steven Brust, Jhereg

Nexus Character