View Single Post

Thread: Gunnerkrigg Court 6: Fire Away

1. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 6: Fire Away

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    This assertion baffles me. The comic has always contained stuff that doesn't belong in an Enid Blyton-esque sanitized kid's story: Jeanne's murder and the emotional abuse featured in the last couple of chapters, just off the top of my head. I don't see why the Court using Annie as leverage on her father falls into a different category.
    I don't recognize the name Enid Blyton and it's not about how "sanitized" things are. I think both things you mentioned have close parallels in the early Harry Potter books. There are old murders in both cases, Jeanne's murder and Harry's parents' murders. The emotional abuse of Annie is similar to the emotional abuse that Harry suffered. So, yes, those things do happen in children's books. Compare that with the court using Annie as leverage on the father in the way Eee said. That's much more complex and much more focused on the effect on the father, rather than the child. That's not the sort of thing that tends to happen in children's books, especially not ones aimed so much at fairly young children, like GK seems to be. (It took a Kat a few minutes to figure out something her mother never managed to figure out after years and years, so GK can be very simplistic with the way it treats adults. Look how simplistically Tony has been handled so far. The rest of the adult humans have probably been handled even more simplistically.)

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Be sure to tell Cedric Diggory that he died in a children's story. Or Snape. And consider Dolores Umbridge: SHE doesn't belong in ANY children's story. Even as a nightmare.
    My link PROVED that the stores are classified as Juvenile Fiction. After all, that is a share library resource that I linked to! If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's reality! I'd suggest that you might want to look at some old footage to see the ages of people who were lining up with their parents to buy the Harry Potter books when they came out, but of course that would lead to a conclusion that you wouldn't like, so that wouldn't do much good, either.

BTW, you are once again exaggerating what I said in order to try to pretend I'm wrong. Would you please stop doing that!!!
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2015-08-25 at 12:07 AM.