Session 10 Continued: This time no joke...

Spoiler: undefined
Show
When last I shared the hijinks of our cooky kids and their wacky undead they had just met up with Azzie Azzborne, and decided to journey into the museum/battleground of the dragon corridor. Recently betrayed by their press ganged comrade Micko, deprived of their own personal minotaur colony, and cut off from the world above by a platoon of were-dwarves they were in less than good moods and their paranoia was at Def Con 5.

Azzie leads the way back from which he came…muttering to himself the whole time.

Azzie: Strange venue this…got to think your ways into most of the backstage areas. And every few weeks some random new buggers seem to pop up clueless as ****e and lost. Gets old quick I tell ya. Anyway…we almost there. Mind yerself for the big white bitch. She was the one that done in me bandmates. Like a damn white spider with wings…Fink she basically decided not to compete with those who left and just picks at the little insects that come her way.

Side Notes:

*Undead minions for the whole crew are depleted.
*One shot resources (potions, scrolls etc) are depleted
*Stockpiles of food and equipment are beyond reach (stuck on the higher level)

Dis Pater and Doc hang near the front, with the clerics taking the rear and Azzie/Seraphim in the middle.
They come to the stairwell leading into the dragon corridor and descend cautiously. This chamber is fair more expansive with a great vaulted ceiling. The stairwell twists down for what seems an eternity. The whole place looks like a bomb went off…multiple times. Twisted rubble and debris is everywhere. Many alcoves are at the edge of visibility…details lost to the distance and darkness. Charred and melted remanents of bone and scale are the only evidence of draconic presences.

Azzie loudly yells as he points off to a patch of darkness in the distance.
Azzie: I fink that is the way down mates!
A series of simultaneous hisses and shushes elicits from the table.
Azzie: What…did I stutter? I said THE WAY DOWN IS THAT WAY

As he yells a second time…they all go silent…listening for a reaction. They hear nothing…but they do feel a slight breeze buffet them…and as their eyes turn above a form glides overhead…silent as death.

Seraphim: Surprise is no longer a consideration.

As she says that a lance of frost slams into the ground to their left…a rope thick strand of frosty gossamer extends into the ceiling above…

Doc: What the hell?

As they maneuver around and start seeking cover…more strands of ice pin themselves to the ground all around them…and they quickly begin taking the form of a spider’s web.

Hades: I think we need to get out of the open and make for an alcove….something with a lower ceiling.

They all agree and begin attempting to slip between the frozen strands…almost immediately they discover the stinging burn of frost damage from contact…and find that contact also adheres one to the strand. It takes considerable force to break free from the frozen web’s grasp.

Caution and tactical advantage are shoved off a cliff by panic as they engage in a race for cover. As they run for shelter the ivory form of an eight legged winged serpent* swoops into sight…and the spider-dragon inhales sharply…then exhales a gust of wind that picks up half the party and sends them flying through the air…directly towards the webbing.

Azzie: Oh yeah…this is the minx…
Pluto: Just curious? How did you get away from her last time?
Azzie: Her wings are damaged…she can’t fly proper, has to use her web to get height then she glides down, using the web as an anchor to the ceiling. I pulled off a lucky shot and split the web wif an arrow.

Dis Pater: What the lunatic is actually saying translates to “attack the web not the spider”…if we knock her down then we can keep her down.

Azzie and Dis Pater take pot shots while on the move trying to sever the “guide wire” for the newly discovered arachnis draconis. The dragon for her part lays down obstacles ahead of the group and continues to make strafing runs…trying to knock them off their path and into the webs.

The whole group makes into one of the alcoves and hastily dive for cover amidst the rubble of what once was a display case. The dragon makes pass after pass ice-webbing the entrance over…leaving a tight enough space that attempts to squeeze through are possible…although ill advised.

Seraphim: Alright we have found cover and some reprieve…what next? Reprepare with a lot of cold resistance and ranged spells come tomorrow? Or make a break for it?
Hades: We can prep for this specific encounter and probably make it trivial.
Azzie: Don’t fink the hel-bitch is givfin us that option mates…she’s sending in the ankle biters…
Doc: The what?

Azzie: She spawned a batch of little whelps…nasty quick little buggers, she’ll probably send them in first.
Seraphim: She will risk her young? That doesn’t sound too mothery.

Dis Pater: Apparently preservation outstrips parentage…guess she figures she can always make more.

Pluto: Let’s be ready for a siege…keep an eye for incoming hatchlings and we will rotate one or two to the back to try and juggle spell slots for a more focused approach.

As they settle in, Seraphim feels a sharp cold sting on her shoulder and sees a tiny ice sliver impaled in her skin…as it melts she feels a numbness sinking in on the wound. A tiny (like the size of a quarter) dragon spider pulls a tarzan vine swing from a web and sends a second dart at her then glides through the webbing sealing the alcove.

Seraphim: I am really beginning to hate this place.

• I took a white dragon…gave it eight legs…and allowed for it’s tail to create a web…I also converted breath weapon to more of a crowd control mechanism instead of straight damage. Why? Because I hate spiders and the idea of a flying spider is just evil.

Time has been a resource heavily fought for lately. Finally peeled enough free time to resume typing. I can't commit to a consistent schedule ( I was doing pretty good at a post every few days for several months...this will continue to be more sporadic).

Just as a brief synopsis...we tried doing a "Tucker's Everything" style campaign and we crashed and burned at least 15 separate parties. Gave up on it and instead kept trucking away in the mega dungeon. So I got a mountain of gaming to share from this campaign.

I wanted to get at least something up and updated, so for those who still follow this...I hope you continue to enjoy and I will keep posting as best as I can.