Quote Originally Posted by MorgromTheOrc View Post
Spoiler
Show
And also your position on Pearl's goal suggests you disagree with Fate stay/nights' lesson of ideals being just as important whether you came upon them on your own or learned them from another, as long as at the end of the day you believe in them. Otherwise I should probably be a dangerous sociopath since I don't naturally develop social or generally emotion concepts on my own.

Also has anyone else heard the Lion is Rose's other half theory?
Spoiler
Show
I think the important part of ideals is why you follow them, not from where you got them from. One can develop an ideal on one's own that's still a bad one if you're following it for a selfish or otherwise flawed or unhealthy reason. Just like one can adopt someone else's ideal for a very good reason. (really if ideals were only good when you made them on your own than we'd all be doing badly, even philosophers used other's ideals and as a basis for their own.)

Pearl's devotion to Rose's cause isn't flawed because it came from Rose, it's flawed because as far as we can tell, Pearl is primarily devoted to the fact that Rose created it, rather than what it stands for. Pearl has difficulties really caring about humans, and honestly questions the point of continuing on this path without Rose.

In essence, she's devoted herself to a person, rather than the cause itself, and in many ways is only aping the steps she assumes Rose would want her to take. If she were to look at Rose's ideal of protecting the Earth and find a reason to emphasize with it beyond the fact that Rose believed in it, than I believe she would be better off for it.

To bring it to Fate/Stay Night, Shiroh's ideal of helping others isn't unhealthy even though it was originally his adoptive father's. If he had devoted himself to it solely because he was honoring him, there'd be some problems. But Shiroh does it because he believes helping others does make the world a better place, even if statistics and the rest of the world blatantly disagree with him. I won't say there aren't flaws in his ideal, and it can certainly go darker places
Spoiler: Unlimited Blade Works Spoilers
Show
Also known as Archer
but the fact that he himself believes in the ideal rather than just following the person behind it means there's nothing flawed with the devotion itself.