Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
I actually use that to psudo-asparagus SRBs when I need a lot more TWR to get off the ground. 2 boosters at 100%, 2 boosters at 50%, and 2 boosters at 33.5%, with independant decouplers so I can drop the SRB pairs as they empty.
I'll have to try this sometime, usually my response to needing more TWR is MORE SRBs! (and struts, can't forget the struts)

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
Try going to Minmus first. It will take more fuel to get there (especially since you have to align your orbital plane, which you don't have to do when going to the Mun), but you'll use so much less fuel landing and taking off in Minmus' light gravity* that it more than compensates for that; plus, there are those handy-dandy blue "seas" which are flat and at 0m altitude, so they're absolutely perfect for practicing your landings. Once you've got that down pat, then you should have a much better chance at doing the Mun.
This could be quite the feat for me, took 8+ kerbins stranded orbiting the sun before I figured out how to reliably get into munar orbit. And now with this whole atmospheric friction/heating nonsense, I'm having to relearn just getting into orbit in one piece XD