Quote Originally Posted by Delwugor View Post
You make a very important point and it demonstrates a difference in styles. I don't want to roll and then describe, this put mechanics over what I want to do. Instead I want to do some action then determine the resolution.
For me players are always more important then system mechanics.
I don't see what the significant difference is to be honest? In one case you determine the cinematic action (performing a wild leap attack for massive damage), determine success or not, then describe the action, in the other, you determine the cinematic action (same as before), then describe it, but holding off on the resolution, then determining success or not, and then concluding the description? Am I missing something? Either way there needs to be a roll to determine success. If you want things like the ability to improve your chances of success, things like action dice, or the 5e inspiration mechanic help with that, but I honestly can't see any difference in what you're saying. The player failing, rolling a 1 on their attack roll, doesn't have to detract from the cinematic nature, that 1 could represent their enemy happening to dodge at just the right moment or whatnot.

The only argument I can see, which isn't one you actually brought up, is needing to spend character resources to achieve some of the more cinematic maneuvers with bonuses. For example, any player can say they kick up a wall and swing down heavily on their opponent to represent a power attack or even just a regular attack, but only players with the right feats can gain actual bonuses from that, like extra power attack damage, and bonuses to hit from coming down onto your opponent (these are actual feats and abilities from cityscape iirc). A DM who ignores those feats and just passes out benefits to players is essentially penalizing any character who picks up those feats.