1. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Most Interesting Portrayals of Gods in RPGs

Never played Eberron outside of Dungeons and Dragons Online, but I liked the Undying Court bit about the elves so much that I adapted a modified version for my game. Basically the planar ecology of my game is that there is Our World, and the Other World. The Other is like a hybrid of Asian spirit realm and European fey. There is no after life. Souls are made up of stuff from this realm, and when you die your soul returns there, if your actions, presence, or strength of conciousness left a big enough impression then you might retain sentience and continue to exist in a different form, but most people are subsumed back into the collective unconsciousness.

Elves are an exception. This is their realm and they always re-incarnate back and forth, but have vague memories of their time in the fey realm while they are in Our world. The elves hold this as a closely guarded secret, and it is very difficult for most people to travel to the Fey realm.

Dwarves believe that they return to the earth, and in a sense they are correct, they live long enough that most of their people retain consciousness of a form when they return, and they have magical means to communicate with them, making necromancers a important part of their culture. They also are the only race that do not cremate their dead in my setting. Most races cremate because at certain times of the year, untended dead re-animate. The dwarves use a method of embalming/mummification.

EDIT: I should make the Other be where the Gods reside...
    Last edited by Garimeth; 2015-10-09 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    To say that there is nothing new under the sun, is to forget there are more suns than we could possibly know what to do with and that there are probably a lot of new things under them.