Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
Spoiler: V3C2
Show

I'm pretty sure people could be eliminated either way, in V3C1 one of the professors said that Yang's opponent was double whammy due ring out and low aura.

Show
People can be eliminated either way, or both. This, however, was a ring-out win. While it could have been a low-aura win as well, we see/hear no mention if it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
Show
Forgive me for being dubious that (a) that wasn't also a low-aura defeat ("can someone make sure they're okay?"), (b) ring-out could plausibly be the goal of the 'distraction', and (c) Nora couldn't have beat them however she wanted at that point.

I mean, can we be real here? The serious fight was already over. The point of the 'distraction' was transparently for the writers to parody team RWBY's use of team attacks with ship names, not to accomplish anything fight-wise--which it didn't, because the fight was already over, as stated.

And at this point I have to start wondering why my tunnel-vision comment belongs in the rewrite thread, but this whole discussion about how the writers could have written JNPR's bickering as a deliberate distraction (instead of how they did write it) belongs in this thread.
Show
As much as I wish it had been a deliberate distraction, I don't think it was. Deliberate that is. However, the fact of the matter is that it was a distraction. Their opponents stopped dead in their tracks and lost momentum.

I disagree that the serious fight was already over.

That belongs here because we're discussing what happened in-universe and how it relates to the show in-universe, while discussing claims of "tunnel vision" etc. would be directly complaining about the writers/writing. Something which I would be arguing against if it was in the other thread, but, as stated, clearly does not belong in this thread.

You're partially right, my comment on wishing that Jaune had revealed that it was deliberate could be interpreted as a complaint about the writing, however it wasn't intended as such. It is pretty much at the limit of the purpose of this thread, and could be posted in either one. If we want to discuss whether it's bad writing or not, we'll need to move over to the rewrite thread.