Spoiler: Vindira
Show
"Excellent," Grommiskalt says. "You requested information on multiple topics, but they are very closely related. As such, I will begin with the broad strokes of what happened, and if you feel there are details which are relevant that I have not fully covered, you may ask for clarification."

"The common thread among your questions is the linnorm called Fafnheir," he continues. "This creature was one of the Eldest long ago, in what you term the Age of Legend. He quarreled with his peers, and by some means slew several of them. I do not know how he accomplished that task; this was all long before my time, and those who were present do not discuss it. I know that he was jealous of his sister's affections, and that this jealousy finally drove him to kill her, along with the Faceless One and Ulugaruu of Ice and Iron when they attempted to intervene."

"Following that, the rest of the Eldest overpowered him and bound him. They stripped much of his power, and sent him to your world in exile. Forestheart was established at that time to provide a source of power from the First World, maintaining his prison and preventing him from breaking free."

"Despite what has been done to him, though, Fafnheir is still one of the Eldest, with all that entails. His resilience is such that he still stirs occasionally, and begins to reawaken to his full power. While I do not pretend to know the norns' minds, it is more than likely that such an event is what she was describing."

"The last time such a thing happened was in the time of Saebjorn. Nithveil was removed from the forest at that time because the rulers of the city feared what might happen if the linnorm did recover his full power, and rightly so. He has the power of a demigod, and a dangerous and destructive one at that, and after so long in his prison he surely resents those who placed him there. Putting ourselves in the way of such a conflict seemed...less than wise. Saebjorn had a similar concern, having been given some idea of the dangers. He chose to attempt to destroy Fafnheir and solve the problem in that way, though, rather than avoid the conflict. It was his nature to seek direct solutions. Though he did succeed, at least in delaying the catastrophe."

Spoiler: Adolin, Currial, and Nirallus
Show
"You're attempting to impose your logic on beings that do not follow it," the wight says, sighing. "The Eldest are not like you. They do not think like you; they do not feel like you. Even if the Rough Beast were to escape his cage, I genuinely do not know whether they would care. You might find success with that argument with some of them, but others are likely to disregard it entirely."