View Single Post

Thread: Can any spell hurt it?

1. - Top - End - #106
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Can any spell hurt it?

Quote Originally Posted by lankybugger View Post
    And the CR of 45 is laughable. I don't care what calculations you used to generate them. They're wrong.
    All I did was add templates and hit dice. That's it. By RAW, it's perfectly legitimate. And honestly, with all the stuff epic casters can do, it's not even close to unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsh View Post
    I'll go ahead and say it... the SR probably makes this thing well above CR 45. It's impossible for GODS to get SR that high. Ao doesn't have SR that high. Nobody does.
    Wrong. I'll show you why in a sec...

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Let's see, rays, lines, cones, and magic missiles are reflected. The orb spells are not in any of these categories, so that part isn't a problem.

Permanent Spell Turning has this little caveat: "Effect and area spells are not affected." The orb spells are effect spells, as evidenced by the line "Effect: one orb of _____" in each one's stat block. This defense is therefore bypassed.

SR is negated by the very simple "Spell Resistance: No" line for each orb spell.

All that's left are the high saves and energy resistances, and the saves only halve the damage, there's an orb for each energy type, and it doesn't have resistance to all of them.

The Orb spells work, though you would need a fair bit of metamagic to bring the damage up high enough to be worthwhile at that level.
    I guess I've been reading the orb spells wrong. In that case, it's quite simple to stack up a bunch of sonic orbs and overwhelm it with an ungodly amount of spells per round (thanks to Multispell, Automatic Quicken, and Time Stop).

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    I would like to see the actual stats for this particular monster build. As several people have pointed out, it probably breaks all kinds of rules for monster advancement and abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBrigade View Post
    Gotta join on the call for Avicenex to post the full stats of this monster.
    Alright, I'll post it. Also, I should point out that there are TWO Psuedonatural templates. ONE of them is the pansy one found in Complete Arcane and a few other books. The other (the one I applied) is from the EPIC book, and is far better. Read it: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...turalTroll.htm

The stats of the monster can be found here:
    http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=1297

Besides the orb spells, I found a nice friendly spell called "Obedient Avalanche" which can do a nice load of damage (just change cold to sonic). Maximized with rods and with a few Pearls of Power (lvl 9) Mr. Monster can be easily taken out.

I think the topics been settled then...

EDIT: Forgot to address this. Look closely at the epic psuedonatural template and you'll notice that its spell resistance is equal to its HD (77) x 5. That's on SRD and in the origonal epic handbook text.
    Last edited by Avicenex; 2007-02-13 at 03:57 PM.