1. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Myrrh, Frankincense, and Steel: Kurald Galain's Guide to the Magus

Just stating. the EA has a few useless ones.

Of course it is. Ranged spellstrike is the only unique feature the myrm gets, so that clearly is its defining ability.
    Unique =/= Defining.

Just because it has a one something that no other Archetype/class has, doesn't mean its the defining ability and is the only thing you are ever absolutely allowed to do as you seem to suggest here with the fact that in your guide you define the Myrm as a failed archery archetype. Yes, a lot of times the unique ability is the defining ability. But not in the Case of the Myrm. Just like how Vivisectionist has a whole bunch of unique abilities.. But no one ever really takes that archetype for that. They take it for the sneak attack.

Sword Saint's Ijistu thing.. That is a defining feature. Not because its unique, but because the entire archetype revolves around it. If Myrm's stuff was like "Weapon training but only with ranged weapons." Then you might have more of a point of it being the defining feature of the Myrm.

The problem is that the fighter is generally considered not a very good class, except with certain archetypes like Lore Warden or Mutation Warrior (which wouldn't stack with this one), or with the new stamina system (which by default a Magus cannot use). So that a myrmidarch is in some ways "better than a fighter" is really not a strong case for the myrm. Yes, most classes in the game are better than the fighter, we know that.

That doesn't change the facts that (1) the myrm is substantially weaker than other Magus archetypes, and (2) the myrm's core feature, i.e. ranged spell combat, doesn't work as written.
    The fighter is generally considered a not very good class because it doesn't have a whole lot of ZOMG abilities like other classes. In fact, it and most of its mundane cousins are typically considered to be "not very good classes". And I'm not saying the Myrm is "Better than a fighter." Thats not what Archetypes are about. I'm saying not to view it as a Magus taking an archetype to become more like a fighter, but a Fighter taking an archetype to be more like a magus.

And well, by "Default" the fighter doesn't get combat stamina either. If Combat Stamina is only pick-up-able by fighters as a feat, then the Mym qualifies for it. Because they count as a fighter of 3 levels lower for the purposes of picking up feats.

Also, Myrm don't gain ranged spell combat. Myrm get Ranged Spell Strike, which isn't something that you just spam constantly. And no, it does work as written. Is it easy to do? Not really. No. It isn't easy to take full use of the Ranged Spell Strike, as its difficult to cast a spell and do a full round attack. Is it possible? yes. Yes it is.

Look, I'm not saying that Myrm is the greatest archetype and should be ranked in the blues or whatever, I'm saying it isn't really as Terrible as you state it is, especially with the new Weapon Master's handbook (that the Myrm qualifies for fairly easily). I'm also saying its not an archer archetype. Its more of a Switch hitter. That is why It doesn't give up Spell combat and spell Strike and also gains more armor ability. And it can use the arcana that allows it to use melee touch spells (Just like the archer can) on its ranged attacks.

A lot of the Damning of the archetype in your guide here is because of the view that it is a ranged archetype, when its not.
    Last edited by Triskavanski; 2015-12-06 at 08:38 AM.