1. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Okay, riddle me this: Everytime, excluding dreamers such as those marked, cast a spell without looking it up in their spell books, it was at a dramatic point.

How often does tat kind of drama happen at that level to the average awakened?

Mopperville is an area of extremely powerful ambient magic, so weird stuff happens there all the time, and Elliot is one of the main cahracters, and he awakened improperly.

He's nowhere near a typical example of a mage, so his spontaneously casting his Super Hero form spell can not be said for sure to be something that typically happens.
    I'm not going to answer this, because it has nothing to do with the matter at hand, and I don't have the time to go through the archives for other examples. My point is that you are off base when you claim that you find it hard to like Elliot when he's not reading the boring, incomprehensible manual, based on the idea that you would. Well, maybe you would, and dislike those that wouldn't - I don't know you enough to say - but most people would not, because most people would be happy enough with being able to fly that slogging through the manual just to discover that now they can fly in a slightly different costume (while still being very sexist, I might add) would not have been worth the effort. Just like most people don't bother to learn how to make anything other than popcorn in the microwave, because it's just nor worth the extra effort. And if that causes you to not like people, well, then you must not like very many people - but that's on you.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-12-12 at 09:55 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est