1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- INPUT APPRECIATED

Hello. I'm brand new to the homebrew scene. I've grown frustrated in some instances with D&D/Pathfinder both for the over-the-top unrealism (or vagueness in knowing what actually connected with their bodies depending on how you view the Hit Point system) they bring through the hit point system, as well as with the fact that it really only works in a fantasy setting due to the way the damage-reliant combat system works. I tried GURPS only to be frustrated with just the oppressive number of things a player has to consider-- things that an expert might be delighted to have as options, but a newbie has to sift through to find the option they want and that can be exceedingly difficult (it was for me).

With that in mind, the feeling I want to achieve is one of grand action cinema: much flynning, dodging, and clashing of swords is had before a blow is dealt and the vanquished slumps to the ground, ready to deliver his dying monologue. But looking at other games, there's very little flow to a battle, it's just all of a sudden over one day. This combat system is intended to adequately represent the flow of combat to show who has the upper hand and who is on their back foot before any blow is successfully dealt, and give the disadvantaged a chance to withdraw from combat or otherwise avoid being harmed.

To this end, I have created a new system dividing hit points into multiple, seperate pools:
    • HEALTH: This pool represents the structural integrity of your skeleton (whatever it is made of) and the functional capability of your organs. This stat is damaged whenever you receive DAMAGE. When it hits 0, you are at immediate risk of death. HEALTH does not regenerate quickly, and recovering even a single point can take days.
    • DODGE: This pool represents your ability to move your body out of the way of incoming attacks. It is an ablative resource pool like HEALTH, but you can choose to use it instead of your HEALTH if you have enough DODGE points available. The slower and smaller an attack is coming, the fewer DODGE points it requires regardless of how damaging the attack would be to your HEALTH (a lightsaber and a wooden club are just as easily avoided even though one would obviously be far more harmful). DODGE regenerates when out of combat (or just away from your opponent and not actively having to avoid his attacks).
    • PARRY: Like DODGE, PARRY is a resource pool that you can use instead of HEALTH. It represents avoiding an attack by placing a durable object, such as a weapon or a shield, in between you and an oncoming attack. An unarmed human has very few PARRY points as he has very little to block an attack with. A man armed with a sword or two has more PARRY points, and a man armed with a shield has even more. PARRY cares more about the kinetic force behind an attack, unlike DODGE which cares about its speed alone; a slow, powerful kick from an ogre is harder to PARRY than a kick of the same speed from a halfling. PARRY regenerates when out of combat (or just away from your opponent and not actively having to avoid his attacks).
    • RESIST: DODGE and PARRY can sometimes be used to avoid magical attacks, for instance you can DODGE a fireball or PARRY dragonfire with your shield if it's good enough. But you cannot DODGE or PARRY a mind control spell-- you can only RESIST it (or GIVE IN). RESIST is your mental reserves, and you use it to fight compulsions, impulses, and fatigue. RESIST regenerates when you sleep, rest, or participate in enjoyable activities.

What I need help with: I don't know how to actually make a proper write-up for this, and could use people's help in this endeavor. What do I say? How do I organize it? What do?

ANY helpful advice is welcome.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2015-12-28 at 11:49 PM.