1. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- INPUT APPRECIATED

Quote Originally Posted by DermtheSherm View Post
    I like the idea, me and my friend have been tryin to think of a good system like this and I like the base you have for it so far. If you use a system you're familiar with as a base and try to add these rules in on top and do a few test plays, even if you just have two characters fight each other and role the dice for both of them, it might be easier to pin down a specific number system. (5e is pretty easy to insert new rules into and once you find what works you can just trim out what doesn't.)
    I'm super glad you like the idea, and thank you for your suggestion of using an existing system as a baseline, though I am concerned about this new system gaining the... quirks... of the existing systems, so I'm not sure really what to do there, I hope that makes sense.

Maybe use the spell DC formula to figure out dodge, parry, and resist pools. Dex for dodge Str for parry (or dex if using a finesse weapon) and Wis for resist (and CON for health of course). The mitigation stat could be just your bare mod for the corresponding ability score (the one for dodge could be called reflex or agility btw). These numbers may be a little high but it's just a starting point.
    I don't understand what you mean by that.

You could also have a hit area system where you actually designate what part of the body you're hitting if that would interest you. split it into legs, arms, torso, and head each with their own hp, more vital areas having lower hp, reducing a limb to 0 hp would maim or sever it rendering it useless and someone who sneaks up and slits someones throat wouldn't have to have a bunch of extra sneak damage features and spec into assassin classes to know how to effectively stab them in the head.
    I am trying to avoid a hit area system in at least the 1.0 iteration-- I'm trying to keep this simple. Maybe in 2.0 or Expert Edition or something, but right now, simplicity is a huge concern. I want this to have the fast play of D&D, not the slow play of GURPS where each turn takes half an hour of looking through books for rules.

Armor could also be a major factor in mitigating health damage, giving you the most of your "ruggedness" stat while wearing out over time. Maybe a piece of armor has its own hp, or when it's hit has to make a constitution saving throw against the damage it took as a DC taking an "injury" on a failed save. The armor would have a Condition stat and Max condition effectively acting as health. A brand new Leather gauntlet has a ruggedness of say 4 and a Max Condition of 3, if it through taking damage it fails 3 constitution saves it is considered broken.
    I love this idea. I will definitely look into this. Reminds me of the Darknut fight from Legend of Zelda, heheh.

That's all I got for now, hope you find it helpful, if I come up with anything else I'll chime in.
    Thank you again. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    The stat to reduce Dodge damage could be CONCEALMENT, meaning it's easier to dodge when they can't see you. Of course, that's mitigatednif you can't see them, either...
    The RESISTANCE damage reducer stat could be called RESOLVE, in similar vein as RUGGEDNESS.
    I considered COVER or CONCEALMENT but neither of those quite seem appropriate; cover or concealment should certainly provide a big bonus here of course, but some particularly expert or agile opponents will be able to dodge wimpy, clumsy attacks all day. Doesn't matter how many times an untrained peasant takes a swing at an expert martial artist, he's never hitting. It's not because the monk has cover or concealment, it's just that he is not expending -any- effort to dodge, because he doesn't have to. He's literally just that good. AGILITY maybe.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2015-12-29 at 11:17 PM.