1. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Creating New System for Cinematic Play in Most Settings-- INPUT APPRECIATED

Happy New Years, everybody! I had a wonderful, well-thought-out post, and then Chrome crashed and it was all lost. Don't you just hate that? :/ I'll get to replying to you soon Loki, right now though my time is limited, so just this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    This is good. Or at least a good idea. In my own system I find myself constantly dividing up the health pools/tracks to try and make a health system that represents getting hurt more complex than HP.
    Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you think it's a good idea. My hope is that if I can assemble a design team beyond just 'me' I can make this into an actual RPG with pdfs, an SRD, and a character sheet app (I can do MOST of that, but not all, so it's not as outlandish as it sounds).

I would actually recommend letting Willpower be the defence against (some) poisons. Two reasons: one willpower as "magic defence" seems like a rather narrow definition for it in a table top role-playing game where your stats often describe the entire character, two it seems dramatically appropriate and there is a certain logic to fighting through the pain of poison. Now this makes more sense for fast acting poison so that is why I said some poisons.
    Willpower is not exclusively against magical threats! It is used any time anything tests your self-control. If you down an enemy after a long and difficult fight, Willpower is used to -stop- hitting him after he goes down, for instance. Not much, for most characters, but characters in a rage or who are wrathful or cruel have it worse there. Greedy characters have to use Willpower to not swipe riches they were warned not to touch. That sort of thing. Maybe Willpower can get slight bonuses on poisons, but nothing too spectacular.

I have a question, you hinted that the secondary pools would regenerate very quickly, exactly how fast are you thinking?
    That, unfortunately, is something I'm not totally square on just yet. I'm imagining that depends on your skill to some degree, perhaps after a certain number of rounds of not using it, you start to regenerate them-- regaining DODGE as you're not under attack anymore and get your balance up, for example. PARRY will probably regenerate faster.

Finally I would have no fear of hacking your ideas onto existing systems to try them out. I feel (with no hard evidence to back this up mind you) that rules lite systems work well for this as they have just enough rules to fill in the gaps you don't want to fill (yet or at all if you want to stop at a system hack) while not really getting in the way of what you want to test.
    The trouble is, I actually have no idea what systems would be compatible. If you would like to assist in this endeavor, please feel free to PM me and we can talk on Skype.
    Last edited by Cloaked Figure; 2016-01-01 at 09:55 PM.