Quote Originally Posted by jlousivy
this is a base class.... it should have access to at least some weapons
that never made sense to me. i don't think mages should be proficient with any. they can still wield a magical staff or somesuch, but i wouldn't expect them to attack with it. to compensate, i gave him a better familiar.

Fighter is cured for x health, but then damaged for 5d6?
precisely. i didn't want him to simply be the best of both a cleric and a wizard, although if his companions are immune to fire he sort of is.

I doubt it would be imbalanced if you gave it sorcerer spells/day since all that this class can do is Direct Damage and mediocre healing with the occasional slow or a stun.
good point, added

Also for flavor purposes i'd give him staggering energy resistance
yeah, classes like the elemental savant get that because they actually turn into elementals, while the extrementalist simply has a great knowledge of the powers he works with. i think the elemental insight ability deals with that well. i did add a bonus to saves against those spells though, since otherwise the ability is worse than resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar
I like the idea, but instead of giving them spells, maybe give them spell-like abilities like the Warlock, so that they can throw fireballs around like a Warlock can throw Eldritch Blasts. Instead of weapons and armour then, you'd give them more powers than the Warlock, but related to fire and ice with only a few different spells.
i'm mildly familiar with the Warlock, but i'm still not quite sure what you mean. infinite uses of his spells seems overpowered to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithis Bladewing
The name sounds dangerously close to an excrementalist.
it's really hard to think up a name for this dude, like i said in the first sentence. open to suggestions.