Not sure if anybody has any interest in this, but a week or so ago I picked up sculpting as a hobby and I thought I might share the results to get some feedback or maybe even requests. I'll admit that I absolutely don't know what I'm doing, but I'm figuring it out as I go and it's a fun way to pass the time.

Spoiler: Goblin
Show

Outside of a half-assed attempt at a Golem 3-4 years ago that didn't really impress me, this is pretty much the first thing I ever actually made right around 2 weeks ago. I was playing with my niece's Play Doh and made a grizzled goblin head that I proceeded to torment her with.

Afterwards I felt kind of annoyed that I'd spent so much time on something that I could really only enjoy for a few minutes, so I picked up a block of clay and recreated it; then at the request if a friend put him in a suit because suits are awesome. The camera I'm using is extremely crappy and failed to pick up the splotchy color of his skin (which I was actually kind of proud of) and the bright pink shirt he's wearing.

Spoiler: Wolf
Show

The Goblin ended up taking 1 and a 1/2 blocks of clay to finish, so I had some extra leftover. An image of a snarling wolf leaped to mind and I had this finished in just a few hours. I actually made and inserted the teeth individually to make sure they were pointy and intimidating enough for my purposes.

This was also an important lesson in mixing paints, as it was SUPPOSED to be two different shades of grey; one dark and one much, much lighter...but when it dried they both looked identical.

Spoiler: Homer Simpson
Show

Took a surprisingly long time to put together. He's only about three inches tall, so most of his detail pieces were so small and thin that the heat from my hands would basically liquefy them before I could get them into place.

Spoiler: Darth Vader
Show

Another tiny piece that took forever to put together. I never realized how weird Vader's helmet is until I tried to duplicate it, it took me HOURS to mold his face right and the camera failed to pick up literally anything that I did to it anyway. I'm not super happy with how he turned out so I'll probably try again, most likely with an 8-12 inch figure the next time.

Of course he turned out better than my attempt at Superman because at least you can see Vader on camera, the flash turns Supes into an amorphous blue blob.

Spoiler: Trashcan Monster
Show

No idea where this came from, I just thought a pair of red eyes glaring from inside a trashcan would be neat and even though it probably took me 10 minutes from start to finish it's one of my favorite pieces. Although if I redid it I'd probably try to keep the lines a little straighter.

Spoiler: Thriller Zombie
Show

My niece adores Michael Jackson and the Walking Dead, so I knew I'd have to put together a zombie sooner or later or she'd pester me forever. The camera didn't pick up much of its shredded face; but hopefully it's dance moves come through loud and clear.

Spoiler: Bigfoot
Show

Obviously based its pose on the Patterson video, also originally tried to make the stand look like a large plaster foot print. I was really happy with how it looked, but the foot collapsed during the baking process so I threw up my hands and just said screw it.

This was actually one of the more difficult sculptures I've done, since the body was fairly thick and the pose put a lot of pressure on the ankles; they snapped several times and if they look a little bulky its because I just kept rebuilding on the remains until something stuck. I was irritated with all the problems and overall unhappy with the way this one turned out, but over the past week it's kinda grown on me.

Spoiler: Death
Show

My favorite so far, though looking at the picture it looks like I need to go over it with some more paint. I don't notice the white spots with it sitting on my shelf, but the flash reveals quite a few of 'em and that bugs me.

The whole thing is based on an unsettling anecdote from my childhood, or rather my sister's which I always thought was cool.

Spoiler: Anecdote
Show
My sister was about six years old when our great grandmother died, and the night she passed we were staying with our grandmother who lived directly across the street from her. We knew our great grandmother was sick, but didn't really think anything of it because it was just that time of year. My sister however sat staring out the window all night long and telling us about a tall man dressed like a cowboy in all black that kept checking a pocket watch every few seconds and pacing across our great grandmother's porch.

That's sort of disturbing, so we all glanced out with her; but didn't see anything and chalked it up to youthful imagination. She refused to leave the window however and kept insisting that the man was waiting for something. She sat there for more than an hour while the rest of us watched T.V. and then suddenly just said "He got what he came for, he's leaving now."

That was kind of creepy in itself; but no sooner were the words out of her mouth than we got a call from our aunt, who was living with our great grandmother at the time, crying and saying that she couldn't find a pulse. We'd all been extremely close to our great grandmother, so we were naturally heart broken...except for my sister; who turned white as a ghost and couldn't stop shaking with fear when it dawned on her what the 'man' had been waiting for.

To this day, she associates a black cowboy hat with Death; and as somebody who loves the Western genre anyway that strikes me as incredibly badass.

So, lemme know what'cha think and if you'd like to see something specific I'll try and get around to it when I've got the clay on hand.