[Neo-Mitakihara Greater Metropolitan Area]
[Kujoh Manor, Kujoh Cave]
Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
Spoiler
Show
"I'm sure the 7-year-old me, who puts this place together on his own, would say something to the effect of 'you know nothing, you are a grown-up and a woman besides'." His tone is serious enough that there's no reason for Nuan to doubt the veracity of his words.

"Understood. Josuke, on my signal, lower the magic dampening field all the way to the meeting room." The old butler bowed in acquiescence. "This way, please."

Magic dampening fields were a touch uncommon in that they were typically reserved for high-level security rooms. Some of them were powerful enough to keep even the most capable mashou from transforming within its confines. There was a defensive variety for shielding against magic weapons, but between energy consumption and bulk, they were usually reserved for military facilities. Makoto's field was clearly the anti-intrusion kind.
Nuan is visibly surprised at the mention of anti-magic, though she seems more confused than impressed. Makoto would no doubt know that Wishcraft almost never made use of such technology, nor did most of the major players on the political landscape. And yes, it was true, the fields were far from perfect solutions. They were outrageously expensive to maintain, consuming grief cubes alarmingly quickly, and not even the strongest field could be counted as fully reliable. The interactions between the particular abilities of various mashou, with wishes, with other magically-empowered technology... it was a defense with far too many workarounds beyond any ability to predict them. In nearly every respect, it was far better for a legitimate installation to simply hire mashou guards.

For illegitimate installations, however, they were a valuable resource, for all that. Efficient? Perhaps not. But few people were betrayed by a piece of hardware, whatever the Miko doomsayers liked to spout.

Still, Nuan follows along quietly, taking in her surroundings and steeling herself for the coming meeting. She's wary, but Makoto recognizes the sort. It's not a direct mistrust of him so much as the wariness of any soldier in a new place. You didn't live multiple decades in one of the most dangerous professions in the world without picking up habits.