Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
This!

As long as its a system that both player and GM is very comfortable with, it's not going to be an issue.

Not having other players to bounce ideas off of, or plan with, or getting second opinions from... that is often the biggest hurdle to overcome in single-player games. One way to help overcome some of the problems is to offer Intelligence-rolls to remember crucial information, or letting NPCs point out obvious facts that the player is forgetting.
So maybe a system that's not as dependant on coming up with the right idea in response to a problem, but one that allows most ideas to be successful, or a higher volume of potentially interesting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
I doubt you will find it. I can't imagine designing an rpg around not trying to get players to try to get more of their friends involved. That's a recipe for diminished sales.
I disagree. It's much much much much easier to find two people willing to do an activity. This is why chess is more popular than Risk of Diplomacy. Any time you have two you can play, which is much easier to work with. Also most games I think I've bought I rarely play, so worrying about them actually using the game isn't a that relevant to a sales perspective. I don't care if they use it, only if they buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R
This is more likely, but I don't know what it would be, since the balanced party has been central to role-playing from the start.
It isn't central to roleplaying any more than the presence of dragons is... It's just common because folks are familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R
True. But I'm not convinced that there are stories that are easier to play out with fewer participants. It may be true, but it is not the same statement, and I have no evidence for it.
Depends we are currently talking about using systems that aren't designed for that purpose. I'm looking at finding or designing a system designed for that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrnan View Post
I've done it. It becomes difficult for the player when the Dm is rolling all the dice and you basically get one turn. my daughter helps me roll the dm dice.

I found in a 2 year campaign that my bestfriend and I did, that we were both sort of Dms and had a large amount of player input on the direction of the adventure. It's best done with close friends and you will become closer friends as you do 2 man d&d.

There are cr calculators online. You can tune them down to 2 players. This way is how I've made sure that encounters were not too hard or easy.
So less die rolling, smaller encounters, more ways to truncate rolling or summarize if?