Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
I repeat it a third time: Iīm not talking against high-level stuff as that is part of the high-level game and therefore part of D&D.
I argue against mixing player and character knowledge and basing all decisions on pure player knowledge as that simply doesnīt work and breaks any versimilitude, thatīs all.

You, the player, can have way more knowledge about the in-game reality than the character you play actually has. If you donīt separate those things, a lot of stuff simply becomes meaningless.
In the same way, the rules themselves provide way more options than may actually be part of the in-game reality.

So yes, there is a glaring disparity here. RAW provides options but that options must be available in the in-game reality, else any notion of a simulation is pretty meaningless and you can simply screw any attempt at making a setting internally consistent.

Taking Eberron as an example, the highest level core NPC being lvl12, again, do tell me where CL 13+ items do come from when not simply falling out of the sky.
Simple answer: They donīt. Weīre either talking about blindly sticking to RAW here or we talk about pure gm fiat.

Now if we go by pure gm fiat, then screw RAW and anything goes in any way possible.
Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
Then find me the spot in the DMG that creates a regular CL17 cleric with crafting feats and we can talk on, without using gm fiat.
I'm clearly not understanding your arguments.

Let me paraphrase.

1) You challenge to find where 17th level cleric NPCs are stated on the DMG
2) I provide a page number
3) ...?
4) You claim that high level is irrelevant, and then use Eberron as an example of only going up to 12th level

Now, allow me to introduce you to Thondred, player's guide to Eberron pg 17, an epic artificer (who by definition is an NPC with more than 12 levels and crafting feats in Eberron).