1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Introduces Lords of the Wild- The Playtest!

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I mean, Shifting feats are generally meant to be taken as a group. And Swiftwing evolves into one of the strongest, netting a solid fly speed.
    Well, yes, but it's always going to be at least your third shifting feat, right? Taking it when you can't fly seems like a trap, since the bonus on Fly checks obviously won't do anything before you have the ability to fly, so I'm a little surprised that it's even an option.

Also worth noting that since maneuverability in PF just represents a bonus or penalty to Fly, having both a Fly bonus and a maneuverability upgrade is probably redundant.

What if the base benefit instead gave you, like, a bonus to Acrobatics checks made to jump, or reduced falling damage, or something like that? That way, there'd be some reason to use it even if you don't already have two other shifting feats, and you'd still have the Fly bonus wrapped into the maneuverability upgrade.

Precedent was a Bloodforge feat with type restrictions.
    I'm not familiar with Bloodforge, but the feat seems pretty strong compared to Paizo material. I don't usually have a problem with fast healing being available to players, but it is definitely surprising to see it this easily available as an always-on ability at such a low level. My instinct would normally be to give it a "Must be 7th level" type of prerequisite, or some other form of level-gating, considering how powerful it is.

Edit: It would be a nifty shifting feat as well.

The point of Rapid Shifting is to preserve your swift, and ultimately to let you do it defensively..
    My point is, if shifting feats only grant you their benefit while you're shifting, it doesn't function correctly, because it only lets you shift faster when you're already shifted—not very useful. This is pretty easily patched by adding a "While using this shift..." type of clause on the other feats (which also has the side benefit of making them read slightly more clearly), so that "You only gain the benefits of shifting feats while shifted" doesn't need to be a general rule.

The bolded is the correct interpretation.
    The text could definitely be clearer on this point, then.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-02-24 at 07:07 PM.