Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
Those things are all incredibly generic. Like, Card Captor Sakura fits every one of those.
Except the mascot isn't hurt in the first episode. And it's Clow Cards instead of Seeds. And her magical thing is a wand (with gems, admittedly, but not a gem).

I admit that since I don't know the genre, I might've thought some of the things that I thought were about Nanoha specifically were about the genre in general.

Adults can only enjoy things where lots of characters die? Kids never enjoy things where characters die? You realise that the most popular childrens' book series of the 90s was about child soldiers slowly losing their humanity as they tore apart their friends and family with their bare hands?
That wasn't the only reason that I think it's a kids' show, but I'll expand on it a bit more.

The writing was limited in ways I associate with the sorts of writing that is dumbed down for kids, and avoided handling things in the way I associate with adults who try to avoid hard, tough topics when talking with kids or teenagers.

It's the fact that the show goes to extreme lengths to avoid the logical consequences of characters' actions, while previously, it intentionally showed the logical consequences of characters' actions. "This character overdid it, and was seriously hurt". "This character pushed too far, and broke". And then...

Spoiler
Show
Vita, whose weakening healing capabilities had been specifically mentioned earlier, overdid it. That is, after being warned that she's using too much of her energy, after being stabbed through her chest, after fighting an army of minions only seen when stabbing characters through their chests or outright killing people, after barely making it to a room that is trapped, after she uses all the rest of her power and then falls down, knowing she spent her all... she lives, because reasons. After basically a death scene (complete with a winged figure appearing from within a white light and giving her an eulogy, then the whole room exploding) she's back on her feet and fighting. With the weapon she just smashed to itty bitty pieces. And some of her friends go past and go "nice, you're ok!". Uhhhh.....

The story, as written, seemed to be perfectly written so she'd die or at the very least severely hurt herself because she pushed herself too far, without listening to anyone's warnings. Then she didn't suffer any ill effects. Why? A magical girl did it.

I think that we might have very different tastes, and are interested in very different things in the series we watch. You mentioned Symphogear earlier, and while it was decent for a while and did some things well, I thought it just kept getting worse as it went on. Especially the final episodes of the first season. They were pretty much a constant nose-dive.

Perhaps we should just agree to disagree?